In India, fish farming has become a major industry, with fish being a popular source of protein for the country’s growing population. To meet the demand of fish, it is crucial that fish on farms receive high-quality food in the form of fish feed in order to ensure their health and production. This is because of the fact that fish with low-quality diet may experience issues like slow development, illness, and even death. As the population of our country is on a rapid rise, the demand for food is constantly rising. Fish farming has become an essential source of income for farmers, providing them with an opportunity to generate revenue and improve their livelihoods. India is one of the largest fish producers in the world, and aquaculture plays a significant role in increasing fish production to meet the growing demand of the population.
However, producing the right fish feed is crucial for the growth and development of fish. The quality of fish feed affects the quality of fish, and providing high-quality feed is essential to ensuring the sustainability of the fish farming industry in India. (In case you are wondering, fish feed is the food for fishes). The fish feed provides essential nutrients that promote healthy fish growth and development, and without it, the industry will not be able to meet the growing demand for fish.
Importance of fish feed in aquaculture industry
Modern day aquaculture requires many farmers to be extra cautious when it comes to cultivating the diets for their fish. Even these aquatic creatures are on a strict food intake consisting of balanced nutrition in the form of pellets or granules. But there are very significant reasons why these farmers don’t take chances or follow fishy diets for their aquaculture setups.
- Basic Balance : Every living organism needs to eat in a balanced way. As simple as it sounds, they need to make sure they have a fulfilling intake of all the required nutrients to grow and thrive. A healthy fish must feed on proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals to achieve proper nutrition. Afterall, you are what you eat and even these small swimmers need a fulfilling diet to reach their optimal and disease free selves.
- Modified to Maximize : Aquaculture being a well-developed industry needs to meet targets like any other business. Quality and quantity of product which in this case, the fish need to be of a certain level. The demand for healthy, large fish with a certain nutritional index requires farmers to alter their diet accordingly. They need to breed and feed using permutations and combinations of genetic codes and dietary variations. Their biggest challenge- do it within a rapid time frame.
- Body Mass Math : While most of us don’t see it coming – Aquaculture involves quite a bit of math, especially when it comes to calculating the Feed Conversion Efficiency (FCE). The FCE is used to calculate the ability of the fish to successfully turn the food they eat into significant body mass. This depends on a lot of factors, the most prominent one being the quality of food being fed to the fish and how well the diet allows them to digest the food properly. The diet can make or break this efficiency index. A good FCE score indicates less wastage and more healthy fish production- a win in business terms. This is not only good for the farmer’s pocket but also more sustainable for the environment.
- Immunity Intricacies : Unless any genetic diseases are involved, the immunity of the fish is directly proportional to the efficiency of their diet. Farmers add some essential nutrients that act as ingredients to grow disease-free and healthy fish. These include the right amount of vitamins, minerals and immunostimulants that help them to fight infections and diseases. Their survival rates get a headstart when their food is packed with nourishing treats to face stressors with ease.
- Going Green with Gills : An efficient diet plan in aquaculture can prove to be extremely environmentally sustainable. Wild fish stock consumption as a feeding source when reduced makes a drastically positive impact on the environment. This substitution is only possible with a nutritionally balanced diet. Choosing plant-based sustainable feeding options also has the same impact thereby, reducing the pressure on other marine sources of food.
- Fins with Finesse : When input equals output, farmers can use food as ways to customize these fish. The requirements change when it comes to the species, life stage and farming systems of the fish while conducting specialization strategies. The farmers feed the fish according to these factors to get the desired fish by tweaking their diets at different stages of their growth. This improves the fish’s performance and ultimately makes more profits for the aquaculture experts.
Growing demand for fish feed in India
In recent years, many companies in India have focused on producing high-quality fish feed to meet the growing demand.In this article we will discuss the top 10 fish feed companies in India. These companies are committed to providing farmers with the best quality fish feed, which is essential for increasing fish growth and improving overall health. They use advanced technology and processes to produce different types of fish feed, including shrimp feed, floating fish feed, and sinking fish feed.
These best fish feed companies in India manufacturing fish feed have established themselves as leaders in the industry, providing high-quality feed that has been proven to increase fish growth and improve their overall health. After all, the quality of input decides the quality of output. There are numerous companies in this sector but let’s take a look at the
Top 10 fish feed companies in India
1. Avanti Feeds Limited
Established in 1993, Avanti Feeds has grown to become one of the largest producers of shrimp feed in India. The company has a strong commitment to research and development and has created a range of premium fish feeds that are specifically formulated to cater to the unique nutritional needs of different species of fish. One of the primary reasons behind the success of Avanti Feeds in the fish feed market is the high nutritional value of its products. The company utilizes only the finest ingredients such as premium protein sources, minerals, and vitamins in its feed to ensure that the fish receive all the nutrients required to thrive and grow. In addition, Avanti Feeds employs advanced manufacturing processes to guarantee the quality of the feed and to prevent contamination.
- They won the Fortune 500 India’s Largest Corporations in December 2020 and have been continuously featured in the list since 2015.
- Their CEO Mr. Indra Kumar Alluri has been presented with India’s Best CEO award in 2020. He also won the most trusted CEO award in 2018.
- Avanti Feeds is one of the fastest-growing company with an 800% increase in stock prices over a period of 3 years.
- Mr. Indra Kumar Alluri has also been awarded Asia’s 200 Best under a Billion in Kaula Lumpur.
2. Godrej Agrovet Limited
Godrej Agrovet has various qualities that position it as a top contender for the title of the industry leader. The company is devoted to innovation, quality, and customer support, which puts it in a favorable position to produce the best fish feed product in the market. By doing so, it can enable fish farmers to enhance the health and performance of their fish, which can lead to higher yields and increased profitability. All in all, Godrej Agrovet’s unwavering dedication to innovation, quality, and customer satisfaction makes it a strong contender for the best fish feed company in India.
- A massive conglomerate with 125 years of long history.
- Their annual revenue is clocked at rupees 6,267 corers.
- They have a total of 62 manufacturing plants in the country.
- Their distribution network consists of more than 20,000 distributors and agents.
3. ABIS Feed (IB Group)
The IB Group, a poultry company based in India, is known for its innovation and dynamism. It has recently diversified its operations to include the sale of fish feed also. The ABIS Feed brand, which is often discussed by fish and poultry farmers, is actually a product of the IB Group. Under the guidance of Mr. Bahadur Ali, a visionary entrepreneur, the company has established a reputation for its unwavering dedication to quality, and this venture is no exception. The IB Group carefully selects the highest quality ingredients for its fish feed to ensure that it provides fish with the essential minerals and vitamins that they need to thrive. Additionally, the company collaborates closely with local fish farmers to guarantee that its fish feed is produced in an eco-friendly manner.
- They have an experience of more than 35 years in the fish feed industry.
- They have a major fish plant in Indamara, Chhattisgarh.
- In the year 2010, they launched their brand called “drool” which is primarily into pet food and has become a household name today.
- In the year 2021, they were awarded the “Company of the Year” award organized by TV9 and SAP India.
4. Venky’s India Limited
Venky’s is a very popular brand of livestock feed in India. The quality of Venky’s fish feed is outstanding, and it is widely regarded as one of the best feeds available in the country, with high nutritional value. Only a few other companies can compete with Venky’s when it comes to fish feed quality for Indian fish farmers. Although Venky’s fish feed may seem slightly expensive to newcomers in the aquaculture or fish farming industry, the other generic brands of fish feed are no match for Venky’s premium or superior quality fish feed.
- Started in the year 1971, by the founding chairman Late Padmashree Dr. B.V. Rao who is also known as the ‘Father of Indian Poultry Industry’.
- Apart from the Fish feed industry, it is also into several other sectors as well such as, SPF eggs, vaccine production, bio-security products etc.
- They are a pioneer company in this sector and are well-recognized for it.
- They are popularly known as Venky’s all around the world.
5. Cargill India
Cargill India Pvt. Ltd. is an Indian company that operates as a subsidiary of Cargill, Inc., a global food and agriculture corporation. Cargill India is a prominent supplier of various agricultural, financial, and industrial goods and services in India. The company offers a diverse range of products and services, such as edible oils, sugar, texturizers, pulses, animal feed, and other agricultural commodities. In the fish feed industry, Cargill India is recognized for its exceptional products that cater to the specific needs of customers. With several locations in India, including Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Chennai, Cargill India is a widespread company that serves customers across the country.
- Holds a lot of experience because it is a 155 years old organization.
- Has a presence in over 70 countries with over 155,000 employees.
- Their workforce consists of 1,55,000 employees working hard to make the best quality products.
- Cargill has pledged to restore 600 billion litres of water and reduce 5000 metric tonnes of water pollutants by the year 2030.
6. CP Feeds
Collins Agri-Services and Premier Feed, also known as CP Feeds, was founded in 2000 and entered the Indian market in 2005. The company specializes in selling livestock feed, including fish feed which has become a preferred choice among fish farmers in India. CP Feeds’ fish feed products are formulated with high-quality ingredients to provide optimal nutrition for different fish species, helping fish farmers to improve the health and growth of their fish. With its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, CP Feeds is poised to continue to be a popular choice for fish farmers in India and beyond.
7. Skretting India
Skretting is a leading global aqua feed company that has established itself as a major player in the Indian market since the founding of Skretting India. The company competes with some of the biggest and most well-known livestock feed manufacturers in the country. One of Skretting India’s unique selling propositions is its ability to provide tailored feed for different fish species. Furthermore, Skretting’s aqua feed products are highly regarded by shrimp farmers.
- A young and dynamic company with its headquarters in Hyderabad, India.
- They have a state-of-the-art aquaculture feed plant located in Surat, which is spread over 20,000 meters square.
- They have made a sustainability roadmap for the year 2025, where they have laid down their sustainability goals.
- Starting from Telangana, at present, they have expanded their operations to Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Odisha, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu.
8. Hikari Feeds
Hikari fish feed is a premium quality feed that is known for its superior nutritional content and excellent results. While it may not be readily available in every state in India, those who are able to get their hands on it are often impressed by the difference it makes in the health and growth of their fish. Hikari’s fish feed is particularly popular among experienced fish farmers who understand the importance of providing their fish with high-quality feed that contains all the necessary nutrients.
One of the things that set Hikari fish feed apart from other brands is the care that goes into the manufacturing process. The company uses advanced technology and high-quality ingredients to create a fish feed that is not only nutritionally balanced but also easy for fish to digest.
9. Aqua India
Aqua India is a company that you may have heard of when searching for the best fish medicines and minerals. But did you know that they also offer some of the best quality and most nutritious fish feed for fish farmers in India? Although it may cost a bit more than some other brands on our list, the high-quality ingredients and nutrients in Aqua India’s fish feed make it a preferred choice among many fish farmers. So if you want to ensure that your fish are getting the best possible nutrition, Aqua India’s fish feed is definitely worth considering.
10. Growel Feeds
A popular name in the livestock feed industry of India – Growel Feeds. This company has been rapidly gaining popularity owing to its excellent quality products and exceptional accessibility. Unlike some of its competitors, Growel Feeds’ products are easily available in local markets across India, which is a testament to its wide reach and distribution network. The company’s success can be attributed to its multiple manufacturing and feed processing facilities, strategically located across various states in India. This ensures that the company is well-equipped to meet the demands of its customers across the country.
- Over 35 years of experience in the Fish feed industry.
- More than 4,00,000 metric tons of aqua food produced to date through their feed plant that was established in 2010.
- Exports fish food to more than 14 countries across the globe.
- All its facilities are ISO 9001:2015, HACCP, BAP and Halal certified and they follow all the quality checks sincerely.
Some Listed Fish Feed Companies in India (Data Source: Money Control)
|Company||Turnover||Stock Price||Market Cap||ROE||Promoter Holding|
|Avanti Feeds Limited||5086 Cr.||393.75 INR||5364 Cr.||13.29%||43.28%|
|Godrej Agrovet||9373 Cr.||464.25 INR||8923 Cr.||12.91%||74.07%|
|Venky’s Limited||4233 Cr.||1699.10 INR||2393 Cr.||5.42%||56.11%|
|Zeal Aqua||362 Cr.||6.70 INR||84 Cr.||9.96%||68.42%|
|Waterbase Ltd.||304 Cr.||74.75 INR||309 Cr.||-1.90%||69.04%|
|Coastal Corporation Limited||–||218.10 INR||232 Cr.||–||41.63%|
Disclaimer: The securities quoted are exemplary and not recommendatory. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.
It is safe to say that the fish farming industry in India plays a critical role in meeting the growing demand for food and producing high-quality fish feed is essential to its sustainability. With the emergence of several fish feed manufacturing companies like the ones mentioned above, Indian farmers get access to a reliable source of high-quality feed that can help meet the growing demand for fish in the country.
Image Credit: Image by Freepik